Monday 2 April 2018

How easily this politician forgets the terms and conditions of being elected to the Australian Senate


“The Senate shall be composed of senators for each State, directly chosen by the people of the State, voting, until the Parliament otherwise provides, as one electorate”  [Commonwealth of Australia Constitution Act, compilation in effect as of 4 September 2013]

“Under the Constitution, each state of the Australian federation, regardless of its population, has an equal number of senators. The Senate currently consists of 76 senators. Twelve senators represent each of the six states elected for a period of six years.”  [Parliament of Australia, About the Senate]

This is Liberal Senator for Queensland Matt 'my mother made me do it' Canavan explaining a change in how he views his responsibility to the people of Queensland.

NEW TO THE PARLIAMENT IN 2014

“Mr President I am honoured to give my first speech in the Senate and I am honoured to have been elected by the Queensland people to represent them. I will do my best to serve their collective interests with courage, integrity and humility.” [Nationals Senator for Queensland Matt Canavan, Maiden Speech to the Senate, 16 Jul 2014]

LESS THAN FOUR YEARS LATER IN 2018

"I stand on a platform that is unashamedly pro-coal, I got elected on that basis. I got elected on the basis I will support the resources sector." [Nationals Senator for Queensland Matt Canavan, ABC TV Special address to the National and Rural Press Clubs, 28 March 2018]

[my yellow highlighting]

No comments: