Wednesday 30 September 2009

Calf confusion or why the little bull loves fence posts


A heifer died two days after giving birth to a large bull calf, so I ended up with a poddy to raise.

I am pleased to say that he is going well, if a little bit confused.


He is being bucket fed and to avoid mess at feeding time I have drilled a hole in a stable wall which the milk teat goes through.

This works really well, except he now has a wood fetish.

Fence posts are fully examined to make sure that there are no teats and since the teat is black rubber the car tyres are of great interest to him.


To give him a more balanced view of the world I have been taking him out into the paddock and introducing him to the aunties (cows), this is working beautifully.

Each morning Arnold Bully the calf and I wander into the herd where I do my best cow impersonation.


Over the last week I have managed to have him accepted into the herd kindergarten.

This is where cows leave their older calves in the care of others and go off and feed; the calves play, have naps and generally learn how to be cows.

This is brilliant. Arnold has learnt that grass is for eating and you can drink water as well as milk.

He has the whole day out with the herd and comes home to his stable at night.


The problem for me is it is now my turn to look after the kindergarten kids - help!

No comments: