Wednesday 19 November 2008

The day I woke up dead

I have to confess that a month ago I clicked onto the World Wide Web and did a bad, bad thing.

Yes, I freely confess - I Googled my own name.

Like all who indulge in such a sin I came by my just deserts - I found my own death notice and obituary or at least ones in my exact name.

**** * ***** of B****** G**** The funeral Mass for **** * ***** will be held at 10 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 16, at St. Mary Catholic Church, ...

Even though I felt quite substantial sitting in front of my PC, this small preview of what will inevitably come was something of a chilly surprise.

Despite the fact that so many nice things were said about the 'other me' in the online guest book, I was rather relieved to be able to confirm that I still had a reflection staring back from the bathroom mirror.

So let that be a warning to all bored souls looking at a blank Google search page.
Sometimes it is better not to know.

1 comment:

clarencegirl said...

Dear Corrie Spondent,
The reason I did not fully publish the funeral notice was not to hide my identity (which I knew would be easily accessible) but out of respect for the family of the other person with the same name as myself.
I did not want to accidentally mock their grief.
Your comment disclosing this family's full details was removed for the same reason.