Sunday 27 April 2008

Laurie Oakes and Clarencegirl have a little something in common

In The Daily Telegraph last Thursday.

"Laurie Oakes (1942- ) is a broadcast and print journalist known for achieving political scoops," his on-screen profile reads.
"She started at the Sydney Daily Mirror and then moved to the Melbourne Sun's Canberra bureau before moving to television."
Oakes told Sydney Confidential it was a common mistake made by Americans.
"In fact, I once received an email from a strange web company congratulating me on my inclusion in an American encyclopedia of prominent women," he said, laughing.
"I guess it just goes to show I'm in touch with my feminine side. Still it's a wonderful honour."
 
Laurie Oakes obviously experiences some benign gender mistakes because of the spelling of his first name.
I may live in obscurity when compared with Mr. Oakes, but there should be no confusion as to my gender with a blogger name like clarencegirl.
 
I have long been accustomed to the northern NSW attitude that females are always supposed to be seen but not heard, however last week I was amused to see a humorous idea floated in the wider Australian blogosphere that clarencegirl might possibly be a middle-aged man in drag.
Shift along the bench Laurie, I'll join you in bemusement - but I'm d*amned if I'll get in touch with my 'masculine' side!

No comments: